Monday, March 14, 2011

Coming Soon: Our New Teen Space!

Anyone who knows me is aware of my affinity for teenagers -- up until six months ago, I worked with teens on a daily basis, and I've been doing so, in one capacity or another, pretty much since I was a teenager myself.  I find teens to be incredibly insightful, interesting individuals and enjoy spending time with them -- especially talking about books. 

So, it is with great pleasure that I announce that MAPL is going to be embarking on a project to create a space for our teens!  The area (yet to be officially named) will reside in a space in the balcony, just outside the elevator and at the top of the stairs.  It will seat 16, in a combination of cafe tables with stools and comfortable chairs with ottomans, and will house all of our teen materials, including magazines, Playaways, graphic novels, and fiction (nonfiction is interfiled with our adult nf, only steps away!). 

The planning phase has been a group effort -- I have been working closely with our head of Youth Services, Chrissie McGovern, and we received fantastic input from a great group of her teen volunteers. 

We have the Friends of the Library to thank for this wonderful new addition to the library -- they have VERY generously agreed to finance the furnishings for the teen area!  We hope to have everything in place in June, and the Friends will be hosting a grand opening reception at that time. 

And adults, don't think I've forgotten about you!  During this balcony transformation, we are also planning a re-arrangement of the area where our CD collection is currently housed.  There will be a nice, new seating area there for you to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment